Thursday 17 April 2014

Building Together #7: A Visit from Constable Steve Hanuse



The children were extremely excited with Constable Steve Hanuse's visit to Creative Minds. They had tons of questions and stories to share with the Constable but first he told us a little about himself.

Constable Steve Hanuse has been serving at the Vancouver Police Department for the past 23 years and his job responsibilities included: general patrol, making sure everyone is safe;  answered phone calls at the 911 call centre and for 7 and a half years worked as a police dog handler. He is currently a liaison officer on the Musqueam reserve.

Below are some of the children's questions and comments:
Roy: Hey, where is your badge?
Maddi: My uncle is a police officer.
Sofia: Do you have a police cat?
Allye: Do you put people in jail?
Trystan: What do you do?
Deb: Did you always want to be a police officer?
Showing his badge
Grace: Someone stole my dad's bike!
Paxton: Why do you need a gun?
Constable Steve: That's an interesting question, Paxton. It is part of my uniform and it's there just in case anything happens. During the 23 years I have been a police officer, I have never had to use my gun. My most useful tool is my mouth. I'm able to tell other people what to do with my words. 

The children showed their appreciation and respect by giving Constable Steve a round of applause before he left!

No comments:

Post a Comment