Monday 17 February 2014

Then and Now #6 - Life in the Early 1800s

Listing what they do at home
According to our housing timeline, after the mud houses used by early farmers are the log cabins from the early 1800s. We read the book Winter Day in the Big Woods by Laura Ingalls Wilder to help us understand how life was like in the early 1800s. There were no machines, no cars, no electricity, and children help do chores around the house.
Laura and her family has to:

"Wash on Mondays,
 Iron on Tuesday,
 Mend on Wednesday,
 Churn on Thursday,
 Bake on Saturdays,                                                       
 Rest on Sunday."

I asked the children if they help do chores around the house. And they all answered: "YES!"

Molly: I help make popcorn, tidy up toys, make bed, scratch the dog's back, sweep and do the dishes.
Brendan: I help cook, tuck in chairs, help make popcorn and clean up toys.
Theo: I help tidy up toys and nothing else.
Alfie: I help make popcorn, unload the car, put plates away, wash dishes, put toys away and help cook.


1 comment:

  1. Hmmm I have not seen Alfie wash any dishes but I can vouch that he did that other stuff, he also put the trash out and helped me build shelves in the garage. Just waiting for the day when he actually makes us breakfast in bed.

    ReplyDelete