Tuesday 22 May 2012

Plentiful Plants #4 - Parts of a Plant and How They Function

Water group explored FORM and FUNCTION from the key concepts for this unit. We discussed the different parts of a plant and how each part functions. We read the book, Plant Magic by Aileen Fisher, and the children learned that plants can do magic -- they can make their own food! When the children heard that, they all said, "How?" We watched a video on Brainpop Jr. that explains the process of photosynthesis. The children learned that with light(energy), water and carbon dioxide, plants can produce sugar and give off oxygen. Below is a link to a game about growing plants and a song about photosynthesis that the children really enjoyed playing and listening to.


Plant game - http://www.sciencekids.co.nz/gamesactivities/plantsgrow.html
Photosynthesis song - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C1_uez5WX1o




1 comment:

  1. This note was sent to the CM general email and was reprinted here with permission from Bronwyn


    Hi Mary

    Thank you so much for all your hard work with the blogs and everyday with the children. I enjoy so much seeing what they do on the Blog and relating it to what Owen tells me when he gets home. He was so excited to ask me if I knew what photosynthesis was the other day. I was almost worried I'd get it wrong. It never ceases to amaze me how much they seem to take in and how much they remember. Owen still tells me about my ear and how it works and it makes me so happy as a parent to see he is enjoying learning.

    Thanks again.

    Bronwyn

    ReplyDelete